Uterine Fibroids are usually asymptomatic but their size and location can lead to problems in some women incuding lower abdominal pain, radiating to the leg and back.SYMPTOMS /COMPLICATIONS OF UTERINE FIBROID
1) Anemia- Low level of red blood cells rising from heavy,prolonged menstrual period.Sometimes with bloodclot. 2) Intramenstrual Bleeding: Seeing blood in between monthly periods. 3) Pain: Lower Abdominal Pain, Back Pain, Leg Pain andgeneralized pressure 4) Dysmenorrhea: Painful Menstruation 5) Dyspareunia: Pain during sexual intercourse. 6) Abdominal Enlargement:This depends on the size and number of fibroids. Usually, the pains experienced when one has fibroid could be due to the following reasons.- Infection
- Twisting of the fibroid
- Pressure on the nerves which results to back-pain that transfers to the legs.
Pressure effect of the fibroid could cause
1) Constipation: Due to Pressure on the rectum, which is the passage of faeces.
2) Frequent Urination: frequent urge to urinate as a result of the pressure on the urethra which is the urine's passage
3) Spontaneous Abortion
4) Some infertility may be caused by the presence of fibroid, further tests are usually carried out to ascertain the cause of the infertility.Tests for Uterine Fibroid1) Pelvic Ultrasound(uss)This is carried out to confirm the presence of the disease and excluding pregnancy. Especially in obese patient.2) HSG (HYsterosalpingogram-This is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It is often performed on women who are having difficulty in becoming pregnant(Infertililty)3) MRI -Magnetic Resonance Imaging- it is a technique that uses a magnetic field and radio waves tocreate detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.4) HysteroscopyTreatment Of Uterine FibroidTreatment of uterine fibroid depends on-Age-pregnancy status-Desire for future pregnancy-General Health-symphus-Size-LocationMost cases are asymptomatic,hence require no treatmentSurgical TreatmentMYOMECTOMY- Removal of the fibroid modulesHYSTERECTOMY- Removal of the uterus along with the fibroidNon-Surgical Treatment1) UTERINE ARTERY EMBOLIZATION- Blockage of blood supply to the fibroid2) MRgFU(Magnetic Resonance-guided focused ultrasound)In conclusion, I did say, if you have any of the symptoms attributed to Uterine fibroid, kindly see your Doctor. Thank you for reading.If you have any questions concerning any health challenge, do feel free to send an email firstname.lastname@example.org, our network of health service providers will gladly reply you.-Dr(Mrs) LatifahAdvertisements